CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 9, 2009

I'm So Excited! Hospital tour and I'm putting my foot down with the doctor!

So today for family night we went on a tour of the hospital! It is SO nice! They seriously have the place on lock down, the security is SO tight in the labor and delivery, it made me very comfortable with giving birth there. I had heard the hospital had been there for a long time (like 50 years or something) and I was worried they wouldn't have all the newest things (in case something goes wrong) and when i got there I was totally shocked! This place is SUPER new! It is gorgeous and they have all the new gadgets, I feel totally comfortable laboring there! I guess the hospital has been there for a long time, but that actual labor and delivery part (or that whole section of the hospital) was just built or rebuilt 8 years ago. I was so excited taking the tour I just wanted to go into labor! haha 37 weeks tomorrow! There will be a doctors post!

So after talking to many friends and getting some advice from midwives I'm feeling very confidant about talking to the doctor tomorrow. When my doctor was talking to me last week, he was totally trying to scare me into a c-section. I honestly don't have to explain anything to him, because its MY BODY, MY BABY. But I am going to address a few things with him tomorrow at my appointment that Sean and I have been discussing and why we changed our decision. I should never feel pressured by ANYONE on how I chose to have my children, especially my doctor! It is a choice between me and my husband. The doctor even had said that to me when I first came to that office (cause I specifically asked about his position on c-sections) Of course his professional advice is wanted. I'm just SO sick of doctors these days trying to tell women all over the place that they aren't capable of doing what they were DESIGNED to do! We have it in us to make babies and BRING them into the world without surgery, We are NOT weak! If something has gone wrong that's different, and for that I am extremely grateful for a surgery to safely deliver a baby. My mom recently found an article that talked about how doctors are pushing c-sections on women and its mostly because 1. they are SO MUCH easier on the doctor. 2. They plan and schedule their day instead of waiting for the woman to go into labor, so basically they can be home by dinner and 3. its way more money to deliver a c-section. lol, so last week when he was saying how he wanted me to do a c-section I couldn't help but think in my head that he was seeing dollar signs. Seriously, I don't know what's going on in his life, what if in about 2 weeks he could use an extra 10,000 dollars instead of 5,000 (or whatever the figureas are) Cause he hadnt been pushing it on me before, it makes me wonder if he is needing some fast cash or something. lol But heres a few things im going to talk to him about.

Normally for c-sections, they schedule them a week earlier than your due date because they are trying to AVOID a vaginal - So why else (other than procedure) is my doctor wanting him to come at 39 weeks. We are NOT trying to avoid a vaginal, but embrace it.

It unecessarily limits my ability to have children. And what if the Lord wants me to have more children and because of some pushy doctor, I wont be able to... doesn't sound right to me.

Cameron is measuring smaller than Ammon, if he came at 39 weeks he would probably be only 8 lbs 3 ounces is my guess and that is a waste of a c-section in my eyes. Even if he came on time he would probably be about the same size as Ammon and I can deliver that totally, not to mention if he was bigger, I believe i can do it, I feel like I have been brainwashed into thinking that I can't do it physically and I CAN!

Of course, if there is any fetal distress or ANY sign of complications I would skip ahead to a c-section, I have ALWAYS said that. But there is NOTHING wrong with giving this baby a fair chance to come on his own. I feel like the doctor was totally trying to skip over that.

We are NOT a family of c-sections. I don't come from a family who all has and chooses C-sections. I also don't come from a petite family. We are all built strongly and can handle big babies. I'm Not a fragile creature! I would understand my doctor's worry if I was 5'2 and 120 lbs and my husband was a huge football/basketball player lol But hello anyone who sees me can tell I am built to handle a baby and that my husband is a petite man. He even told me himself that it is rare that a women ever makes a baby too big for her body to handle, he says that usually a mother makes a baby big enough for her body (so why did he change his mind)

I'm not gestational Diabetic and this baby is not at risk for being a diabetic baby. With absolutely NOTHING wrong and a totally healthy pregnancy. Why is he pushing for a c-section? lol it just doesn't make sense.

I come from an extremely LARGE family and we have ALL (with exception of a couple emergencies) have delivered vaginally. We are a pretty traditional family. That's just how it is in my family and EVERYONE is entitled to do whatever they want with their body. My family and extended family are very supportive and in favor of vaginal births when possible. I have tons of support. Maybe if I came from a family where we all CHOSE c-sections and that was the norm, maybe I would feel different. But I dont come from that family, and I am happy and excited to try a vaginal (not that I am excited that something huge will be ripped from my vag, really, IM TERRIFIED!)

The recovery time... I've had a c-section before and some people I know have had HORRIBLE experiences (compared to their vaginal) with it and I've know some people who had great experiences, and got to take sleeping pills to help them recover faster. I had a pretty good experience. It was not that bad. I showered and did my hair and makeup, took a picture, and went to the hospital and had the baby. After that, the first TWO weeks were HELL! But it wasnt like the 6 weeks were all bad. Still, a vaginal birth is so much better on your body and I would not like to scar my uterus any more than is necessary. Not to mention, I won't have help like I need. I don't have a mother-in-law coming to stay for two weeks or anything, and my mom is going to come, but might only be there for a few days after the c-section (if i have one) cause the first 4 days are spent in the hospital and she can only come for 10 days (maybe even only FIVE) With out the help of my husband and a toddler to take care of alone as well as a new baby. I DONT see the need to have a c-section thats NOT needed by medical emergency.

No matter what time this baby comes, it will be a bad time! LOL this poor child will be born into Sean's FIRST trimester at BYU and its SUPER hard. Sean tells me every day how hard it is to go to school there and if the baby comes on time it will be 3 weeks shy of the end of semester! LOL I feel bad for this baby. As it is, right now I wont be seeing Sean for at least the next 3 weeks. So if i go into labor before my due date, Sean jokes about how he WONT be present. LOL Just kidding, but it will be a crazy hard strain. I will be doing a lot of it on my own, hopefully my mom and sister will be able to stay long enough to help me recover (if I have a c-section)

I know pleanty of women do it on their own (I don't know of it personally acually, I just know it happens, im sure) But It seems every one I know has their mom come for a couple weeks and then their mother in law and stuff, I can only imgaine that would be extremely nice to have that kind of help. Im not complaining but when I had Ammon, I lived with my family, but 2 or 3 days after I got home from the hosptial they picked up and went to florida! LOL Sean was working from 3am-6pm, he was a waste of flesh! I felt so horrible cuase it was hard for him to sleep with a newborn, he was a zombie and I tried to let him sleep as much as possible so he woulndt die on his way to work. It was one of the hardest things I had to do alone. I slept in a chair for the first two weeks. I didnt know i could request more pain meds so I tried to space it out and was in tremendous pain and dealing with a crying newborn all alone and helpless. I swear I called my mom every day crying. There was a miscommunication with the ward and they thought my family was there to help so I didnt get any help from my ward until i was like 4 weeks post partum and quite frankly, I was taking care of things pretty well by then.

So I think of that and knowing that my mom can't stay very long this time and Sean will be out of commission again (for the first few crucial weeks) but this time around I will have a demanding toddler to take care of and a newborn, I can't help but dred having a c-section. There are too many reasons to NOT have one.

Anyways, Sean isn't able to come to the doctor's appointment tomorrow, which is fine, poor guy has five tests, a couple prejects and presentations and some essays due this week! He works so hard. He definitly tries his hardest and not just to pass, he wants to learn and KNOW the material, which is more than I can say for myself. I know sometimes I just cram the knowledge in and cant remember it later. But yeah, he has talked to me about how I will be brave and put my foot down and not let the doctor push us around! lol anyways, this has turned into yet again a BOOK! I don't blame people for not wanting to take the time to read my blog cause its like sitting down to a novel! Anyways, Its way too late and I need to get to bed! I have an appointment in the morning! AHH I will be brave!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! Stand up for yourself. I am so proud of you. I hope to see you this weekend before the little man is born. Talk to you soon. :) D

Hot Cookin' Mama said...

For sure! I agree!!! I know you can't fast but Sean and your family can to pray about this decision and you will feel even that much more confident!! I know you don't know me (haha) but I seriously am willing to help you any time you want! Even if you just want to sleep and need a maid to come in for 30 minutes! or the whole day! I'm not a physco even so I'm safe!! :)

Jill Arnold said...

Be fierce! =)

A lot of us have turned down c-sections. If you can wrangle yourself up a doula at this point, she will be worth her weight in gold. I think it's the only way we got out of the hospital with a vaginal birth.

My site is linked on my profile.

Good luck!! I don't know you and I'm excited for you. =) Have a wonderful birth.

Carina & Dan said...

good luck Alicia. I hope you can avoid the c-section. After working in a surgeons office I have come to fear abdominal surgery and strive to avoid it at all costs. aside from it being unnatural there can be so many complications down the line. Sometimes I felt bad for the doctor, not being able to plan his schedule around all his patient's births. I mean he has a family too, but it IS his job and he chose a profession where he would have an unpredictable schedule. My doctor wanted to induce a day after my due date(since it was right before Christmas) But the day of the scheduled induction I went into labor on my own and had a perfect delivery. I hope it all goes perfectly for you as well.