CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

SAHM vs. WAHM Debate

     The other day I got an e-mail from Cafemom.com advertising a topic thread about work-at-home-moms vs. regular stay-at-home-moms. I skimmed the thread and it was so absurd on so many levels, that the thought of addressing what any of these women said was just too overwhelming. I almost got sucked in--almost.  But being the busy "stay-at-home/work-at-home/student-mom" that I am, I decided to just shove those thoughts and all those silly little ladies on the shelf and focus on my homework-- until now. You see, if I can make my little rant count for a homework assignment, then I'm not wasting any of my precious time. I have mastered the art of killing two birds with one stone. It was killing me, because all those women were claiming they were so busy, yet they had the time to fight a stranger online... Right. As much as I was tempted to read the entire thread and give my two cents, I couldn't. I had homework to finish, dishes to wash, kids to bed down, and a million other things on my "to do" list. I find it ironic that the women who were arguing about who was the busiest--had wasted the most time arguing. With--a--stranger. At least if you have to waste time arguing, argue with someone who matters.
      The women were arguing about who contributes most to society: the WAHM or the SAHM. The work-at-home-mom ranted about how she manages to pull in income for her family and take care of the kids, while the other stay-at-home-moms argued that they are contributing just as much to society as someone going to work. WAHMs were accusing all SAHMs of being lazy and not pulling his or her weight in the family finance department and I'm sure you can all see where the argument was headed.  
My two cents: Being a good mother is hard work. SAHM, WAHM, WM (working), SM(student), or whatever kind of "mom" you want to call yourself. I have seen plenty of good and bad mothers in either role. Just because you're a mom who stays home with your kids, doesn't make you a good mother who is nurturing and raising future contributors to society. Likewise, just because you're bringing in a little extra cash every month for your family, doesn't mean you aren't a lazy mom. I've seen plenty of working moms who are extremely neglectful and don't attend to the basic physical and emotional needs of their children. The women on that thread have missed the mark completely. It's not about having a job or not. It's not about keeping track of whose busiest, or who has their kids in the most sporting events. NO-- you're missing the point.The quality of mothering is the point. Not the choice to have a job or not. It's about your children. It's about the quality AND quantity of time that you are offering to your children. The key is finding a balance of both, not one or the other. If your kids don't feel your love for them, you have failed. Don't fret moms, kids are extremely plastic and forgiving. You can change if you haven't been up to par.
          I know this because I have been almost all of these types of moms. I have been the student-mom, the strictly-stay-at-home-mom, the work-at-home-mom and the not-so-good-sit-at-the-computer-all-day-mom. Being a good stay-at-home-mom is just as hard as being a work-from-home-mom or a student-mom. The only difference is that I don't have to bring my homework to the kid's dentist appointments, or read my homework in the car while waiting to pick them up. Homework fills every crack in my life that my children don't already fill. That's the only difference I notice. Being a mother is hard no matter what. I'm just lucky my children have been patient with me while I figure everything out.  Heaven only knows I'm not the same mom I was six years ago, and I hope I can look back in six more years and say the same.

5 comments:

SewSara said...

So true! And besides, motherhood (parenthood) is tough enough as it is, we all need to be a little more easy on each other. Too much judging and comparing go on. Don't we all feel enough guilt on our own as it is? I know I do!
We are all just doing the best we can with the life we have :)

You're amazing, by the way! You do so much and you're such a great mama :)

Alicia said...

AMEN! I meant to include that, but I lost it in my brain somewhere. haha, But it's so true! Being a mom is hard enough. we should be supporting and uplifting other mothers, bot tearing them down. Enough with the hate and pointing fingers!

Alicia said...

And thank you Sara! I feel the same way about you! I am so blessed to be around and be friends with so many talented women. I have learned so much from all the moms I know in my life. Soooo many good moms to look up to.

Anonymous said...

The trick and point of it all is the word "mom". What makes me a successful "mom" is my work as a mother.

Jamie said...

Couldn't have said it any better! Being a Mom is a journey: growth, learning, stepping back and then re-learning what you thought you knew. And the need for lots of patience, no matter what kind of Mom title you have.

Alicia, you are incredible!! The boys are adorable and you are doing great things. Keep it up!